The Caswell County Public Library, Orange County Main Library and Person County Public Libraries each maintain a North Carolina collection. These collections house materials related to local history and genealogy.
The North Carolina Collections include:
Note: Each library possesses unique collections, so check with your local branch to see what is available.
- Ancestry.com (Access is available from library computers only. Not available at the Carrboro Branch.)
Find census records, birth records, death and marriage records,newspaper articles, historical stories, photos, historical maps, and other more.
- Heritage Quest (available through NC Live)
Search Federal Census records, Revolutionary War Pension and Bounty Land Warrant Application Files, Freedman's Bank and more.
- Microfilm records of the U.S. Census, marriages, deaths, deeds, wills and estates, court minutes and newspapers (available at OCPL)
- North Carolina Colonial and contemporary histories, including surrounding counties and the Town of Hillsborough
- Histories of area families and churches
- Military records for the American Revolution and the Civil War
- Modern reference works published in the areas of genealogy, biography, and North Carolina history
- Cemetery records of Durham and Orange Counties, available online through the Durham/Orange County Genealogical Society
- Courier=Times Microfilm 1890-Present
If you have questions about resources or a topic related to local history or genealogy, please call or write us.