What is your address?
- Our physical and mailing address is 21 Abbitt Street, Roxboro, NC 27573
What are your hours of operation?
- Office hours: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Recording Hours: 8:30 a.m. to 4:45.pm (documents presented after 4:45 p.m. will be recorded first on the following day.
- Obtaining Marriage Licenses: 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Are there special requirements for recording deeds in Person County?
- Yes. A tax certification form must accompany ALL deeds presented for recording. The form is available here. More information can be obtained from the Person County Tax office at (336) 597-1721.
Who can obtain information contained in the Register of Deeds Office?
- Anyone wishing copies of records kept in this office may be obtain such record upon payment of appropriate fees. All information in our office is public record.
How do I obtain information regarding the Office of the Register of Deeds?
- In addition to this web site, you may call our office at (336) 597-1733 during our hours of operation.
How can I transfer names on a Deed?
- A new deed will need to be prepared. You need to contact your Attorney for this service. After you have signed the deed, had your signature notarized, present the document to the Tax Assessor’s office, then the deed is presented for recording in this office. The fee for filing a deed is $26.00 up to 15 pages, additional pages are $4.00 each. If there was money transferred, the excise tax amount is $2.00 per $1,000.00 in sales price.
Do I need an appointment to take my Notary oath? What documents must I present to take my oath?
- No appointment is necessary to take your oath. All staff members are able to assist you with taking your oath. It would be helpful to bring the letter you received from the Secretary of State. Oaths are given during office hours.
How do I obtain a copy of my deed and/or plat?
- Either come into the office, giving your name and approximate year of obtaining the property or you may mail in a request. Obtaining a copy in person is $.50 per copy – via mail, $1.00 per page. If the property was surveyed and recorded, you will be able to obtain a copy of the plat also.
Can the Register of Deeds office tell me who owns a particular piece of property by an address?
- No. Our records are by name only. To find out this information, contact the Person County Tax Assessor’s office at (336) 597-1721.