When Are Permits Required?
State law requires that permits be obtained before beginning these types of projects: Construction, reconstruction, alteration, repair, movement to another site, removal or demolition of any building, or when the total job estimated cost is $15,000 & above or any structural work is to be done. (Reference G.S. 153A-357)
- Installation, extension, alteration or general repair of any plumbing system; heating or cooling equipment system; or any electrical wiring, devices, appliances or equipment
While this law was meant to be all encompassing, some projects do not require permits from the Person County Inspections Department. Please call us at 336-597-0570 before beginning work if you are unsure. If permits are required, and are not obtained- fees will be doubled.
No Permit Required:
- Replacement of non-structural cosmetic building elements such as: floor and wall coverings; moldings and trim; cabinets and casework; roof coverings with the same materials, etc.
- Residential accessory buildings that are no more than 12 feet in any dimension.
- Replacement of electrical fixtures and components when work is not done within the wall or ceiling cavity or behind the finished wall or ceiling surface
- Replacement of plumbing fixtures when the work does not go beyond the trap seal.
- Installation of low voltage exterior landscape lighting
Unsure whether your project requires a permit? Call the Person County Inspections Department at (336) 597-0570 weekdays between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. for more information. Inspectors are available 8:30-9:00 am, 1:00-1:30 pm & 4:00-5:00 pm.